Tortellini Soup with White Kidney Beans
I love to have soup available in the house! Well because, soup is really good food. It is a great option to have ready and available for those times when you are hungry, and is a way better option than reaching for ….well junk.
Are you like me and have some frozen tortellini sitting in your freezer? Now is a great time to put that stuff to good use. You can bring this Tortellini with White Kidney Beans together in under an hour.
The chicken broth, white kidney beans and tortellini keep the soup looking light in colour, and all the vegetables give it that beautiful added colour and flavour. I initially was going to add some diced tomatoe but decided to leave it out and keep the soup looking light and letting the flavours that were there do their thing.
When you are dicing your onion, carrot, and celery you want to make sure they are all uniformly cut to about the same size and would fit nicely on a soup spoon. This way it will all cook evenly and presents well for eating. Which is the best part.
As with most soups, you can change it up in many ways to your liking or based on what you have on hand:
- add more or less tortellini
- add more chicken broth (to make it liquidier (<is that a word)) or use a vegetable broth
- use a gluten free tortellini
- add in other vegetables like some diced red pepper and/or peas
- sneak in some heat with some red chili peppers
- add in some leftover rotisserie chicken
- I used a cheese tortellini but you could use a meat tortellini
The more tortellini you add the more it will soak up your broth, especially if you don’t eat it all and save some in the fridge for later. So it may prove helpful to add in some extra broth, especially if you add in extra tortellini and/or chicken.
Tortellini soup with White Kidney Beans is a really delicious soup that comes together quickly. It's a nice change from a chicken noodle soup and is perfect comfort food.
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 tbsp butter unsalted
- 1 large cooking onion diced
- 2 ribs celery diced
- 2 large carrots diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 8 cups chicken stock low sodium
- 1 540 ml can white kidney beans (19 oz) drained,rinsed
- 5-6 ounces spinach chopped (approx 3-4 cups)
- 3 cups frozen cheese stuffed tortellini
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup parsley chopped, reserve some for topping
- 1/4 cup parmesan grated, reserve some for topping
- salt and pepper
In a large saucepan, over medium high heat, add oil and butter until hot. Stir in the onion, celery, carrot and garlic until coated. Stir occasionally until onion is translucent. Approximately 5 minutes
Add the chicken broth and heat to almost boiling. Reduce heat to medium low and cover for approximately 15-20 minutes, or until vegetables are cooked.
Carefully pour in your tortellini, and stir in your spinach, Italian seasoning, half of the parsley and grated parmesan. Simmer for 10 minutes to allow the tortellini to cook and the flavours to come together. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
To each serving sprinkle with some grated parmesan cheese and parsley. Enjoy!
In my pictured ingredients you'll see a can of diced tomatoes, which I was thinking of adding. However, I decided to keep it more of a clear white soup, and saved my tomatoes for another soup. You can add them if you like and of course it will be delicious. You can also add some leftover chicken, to make it even heartier.